Saturday, October 2, 2010

You.. Yes You.. You're Perfect.

     I'm in Berkeley, California this weekend visiting my beautiful friend Andi Davis and I cannot believe how quickly I've fallen in love with this place.  I can't get enough of the restaurants, the people, and the wonder it has to offer.  We went to San Francisco today and covered much more ground than we originally intended!  We met up with Joel Mcknight and his roommates and roamed around Chinatown and had fantastic pizza in Little Italy.  Sitting in Stella Pastry and having a cup of coffee with these amazing people I once again gazed around and charasterictally got lost in my own thoughts reminding myself...this life is amazing. 
     I think it was Mark Twain who once said the "coldest winter i ever spent was a summer in San Francisco" and oh was he right! We left wearing jumpers and tanktops and ended up covered in San Francisco evening fog and snuggling up to each other on our walk back to BART. 
     I think the picture I posted today deserves a little more explanation than the past  few.  Walking through the Berkeley campus yesterday I found myself surrounded by student clubs offering memberships and free teeshirts and the likes... then i turned and saw this guy sitting on a wall out of the corner of my eye holding nothing but this sign.  I cynically looked around for some item to be sold or basket for donations but couldn't find anything of the sort.  I wandered over to him thoroughly inspired and realized that indeed he was simply reminding everyone walking by of their beauty with no hidden intentions!  We talked for a few minutes and I told him how much he had brightened my day and he reiterated that this was exactly his purpose.  He claims that his goal is simply one smile a day and that he will be perfectly content every night with just this.  These are the acts of uninhibited kindess that give me such crazy hope for humanity. 

4 comments:

  1. You are such a great writer, Cros! Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you love the people most of us are are leary of....

    ReplyDelete
  3. what's a jumper? Same thing we wore???
    Great observations Crosby. Berkeley is a unique place for unique people. People that appreciate ALL kinds. I love that you love it.

    ReplyDelete